Jens Willmer

Tutorials, projects, dissertations and more..

Zigbee to MQTT case for Raspberry Pi Zero

I am using a Zigbee to MQTT bridge for my home automation. The software runs on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and uses the CC2531 USB Sniffer to talk with Zigbee devices. I use a 90 degree angeled USB adapter to connect the USB stick with the Raspberry Pi. The setup of the bridge is described in the zigbee2mqtt getting started guide.

I really like the setup but in order to connect with all my devices the bridge needs to be in a central place. At the moment of writing I couldn’t find any case that would support the Raspberry Pi Zero together with the CC2531 USB stick that looks elegant enough to put it into the living room.

That is why I created my own case. I got my inspiration from a round Raspberry Pi case on Thingiverse. My case design is publicly available in Onshape 1. I also posted my case design on Thingiverse 2 since this is the first place to look for 3D files. The STL files can also be downloaded directly from my homepage 3 4 5.

Mountain View

Case design at the moment of writing.


I started to print the case prototypes in PLA filament since it is easy to print and biodegradable. To close the case I added two M2.5 x 8mm flat head screws and two M2.5 x 4mm embedded knurled nuts. To fix the nuts I used a soldering iron to heat up the nuts and press them into the plastic. The case is 1.5cm high and is close to 12 cm in diameter.

Prototype Hull
Prototype Base
Prototype Top
Prototype Bottom

The final product I printed in white ABS since I like to have a better head resistant and a stronger material. I changed the ventilation shaft slightly since I didn’t want to use support material.

ABS Case Base
ABS Case Bottom
ABS Case Ventilation
ABS Case Mounted


I am not 100% satisfied with the current design. One minor point is that the ventilation doesn’t look to good since i didn’t use support and didn’t post processed it. A slightly more annoying point is that the case has warped a little and the top is not completely closed around the ventilation shaft. I might need to add some sliding lock functionallity similar to the picture from adafruit in the future. But both points are only visible if you look closely. Mounted to a wall these minor defects are not visible.

My biggest concern is regarding the filament. As you can see on the last picture it is slightly transparent. I could make the walls thicker, but I really don’t like to since they are already strong enough. Maybe I will experiment with different filament or color painting the case from the inside. Not sure yet!